Mezcal Mac n' Cheese
A generous shot of our Mezcal & Chile Hot Sauce elevates this All-American comfort food classic to a hot and spicy epicurean level. For the ultimate flex, cook it over a camp fire.
- Mezcal & Red Chile Hot Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups whole milk, warmed (2 minutes in a microwave should do it)
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup breadcrumbs mixed with 2 tablespoons olive oil
Heat a skillet over a medium heat. Add 4 tablespoons of butter and stir until melted and hot.
Sprinkle in the flour and whisk continuously until the flour is incorporated into the butter. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir and cook for a further minute.
Pour the warmed milk into the skillet slowly, whisk constantly to keep the sauce smooth and lump-free.
Heat until mix begins to bubble and thicken.
Remove from the heat and add the shredded cheeses to the hot skillet one cup at a time, stirring rigorously between each addition. Stir until all the cheese has melted completely.
Add a tablespoon or two of Mezcal & Red Chile Hot Sauce and stir until combined.
Spread the breadcrumb mix on top of the mac and cheese and place under a broiler for one minute (or until it crispens)
Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed it, hit the share button below. This means a lot because it helps other people discover the recipe.